Where can I go to get legal advice?
There are a number of resources you can use to get legal advice:

(1) Adams Public Library System

Visit the main branch of the Adams Public Library System, 128 S. 3rd Street, Decatur, Indiana or 305 E. Line Street, Geneva, Indiana. The telephone number is (260) 724-2604 or (260) 368-7270. The website is http://www.apls.lib.in.us/about.html

While library personnel cannot give legal advice, the reference librarian can direct you to research materials and some forms which will give you the information you need to prepare your legal document. They can provide the Indiana Code and the Indiana Rules of Court, which will give you information on court procedure and legal requirements. You should look at both State and Adams County’s Local Rules.

(2) The Indiana Supreme Court Website

Visit http://www.in.gov/judiciary/. This is the Website for the Indiana Supreme Court and as you explore the site, you will find a wealth of research materials and forms.

On the top of the main page, you will find a menu called “Information for…” Click on the word “Public.” It will take you to the “Information for Members of the Public” webpage. Scroll down the page and you will find information on “Getting Legal Help,” “Representing Yourself in Court,” “General Information” (which includes Indiana Rules of Court and the Indiana Code), and other topics of interest.

You can also access “Sample Court Forms” under the “Representing Yourself in Court” topic. Some available forms include forms for divorce, child support, name change, and protective orders.
(3) Lawyer Referral Service (Allen County/Fort Wayne, Indiana)

Their office hours are Mondays – Fridays from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Their telephone number is (260) 423-2358. Please call for a referral; no walk-in appointments are accepted.

The ACBA’s Lawyer Referral Service has attorneys who practice in virtually all areas of the law including: bankruptcy, business and corporate, consumer, custody and visitation, criminal, divorce, employment, immigration, medical malpractice, misdemeanor, personal injury, probate, wills and estates, real estate, child support, social security, and worker’s compensation.

When you contact ACBA’s Lawyer Referral Service, trained staff will help you evaluate your situation. Then, if you need an attorney, you will be referred to one that practices in that area of law.

A $40.00 non-refundable fee is required for most referrals for up to a half-hour consultation. No consultation fees are charged for personal injury, social security, worker’s compensation, and medical malpractice cases.

If a lawyer is not what you need, the ACBA’s Lawyer Referral Service staff will direct you to another source of assistance.

(4) Legal Line

Do you have a legal question? Not sure if you need to hire an attorney? Then take advantage of Legal Line. You can speak directly with an attorney for free every Tuesday evening from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM just by calling (260) 423-2358. If your legal issue cannot be resolved, the attorney may refer you to ACBA’s Lawyer Referral Service.

(5) Volunteer Lawyer Program of Northeast Indiana

The Volunteer Lawyer Program of Northeast Indiana (“VLP”) is located at 927 S. Harrison St., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802. Hours are Mondays – Fridays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Their office number is (260) 407-0917 or toll free at 1-(877) 407-0917. Their Website is http://www.vlpnei.org/.

VLP offers services in: adoption, consumer law, estate law, guardianships, landlord/tenant, real estate, social security disability, bankruptcy (client must have filing fees), collections, contracts, family law (dissolutions), immigration, POA/Wills/Health Care Directives, Small Claims, Tort Defense, and Pro Se Clinics for Dissolution of Marriage (self-service clinics where both parties agree to terms of property settlement, parenting time, and child support).

Not all people who qualify for VLP assistance are referred to an attorney for direct representation. Some people may be placed in one of our other programs. Other cases may not be able to be placed because we simply cannot find an attorney to help or because there is nothing an attorney can do to help fix the problem.

VLP cannot assist with: change of venue, criminal matters, emergencies, CHINS cases, driver’s licenses or traffic tickets, incarcerated people, fee generating cases (personal injury), cases where a hearing is set within the next thirty (30) days, any case against the judicial or criminal justice system or any government entity, and cases filed in other pro bono districts or other states.

(6) Indiana Legal Services

Indiana Legal Services is located at 919 S. Harrison St., Suite 200, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802. Their telephone number is (260) 424-9155 or (888) 442-8600. Their fax number is (260) 424-9166. Their website is http://www.indianalegalservices.org/. Their office hours are Mondays – Fridays from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. To complete an application for their services, please call them on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.

In order to be eligible for their services, an individual must have an income up to 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines with exceptions in certain circumstances.

Indiana Legal Services practices family law (with priority given to divorce cases involving domestic violence); housing (eviction, landlord/tenant issues, subsidized housing, foreclosure, etc.); public benefits (Medicaid, food stamps, TANF, social security, unemployment insurance, etc.); consumer (debt collection, loans, vehicles, warranties, taxes, etc.); immigration; and other civil legal matters.

Indiana Legal Services in Fort Wayne serves the counties of Adams, Allen, Blackford, DeKalb, Grant, Huntington, Jay, Steuben, Wells, and Whitley. For services outside these counties, you may contact another Indiana Legal Services office.

(7) Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic

Their office is located at 2826 S. Calhoun St., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46807. Their phone number is (260) 456-8969, extension 311. Their email address is fwcontact@nclegalclinic.org.

Intakes are available on a first come-first serve basis. You can register on site. Intakes take place on Mondays (register at 5:00 PM) at Catherine Kasper Place, 2826 S. Calhoun St., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46807; Wednesdays (register at 5:00 PM) at Faith Lutheran Church, 1700 E. Pettit Ave., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46806; and on the Third Saturday of Every Month (register at 10:00 AM) at Catherine Kasper Place, 2826 S. Calhoun St., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46807.

In order to be eligible for their services, an individual must have an income up to 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

They practice the areas of landlord/tenant, uncontested custody/visitation, uncontested child support, bankruptcy, wills/estates, discrimination, housing/foreclosure, guardianship, immigration, consumer/debt, SSI/SSD, and tax controversies.

They cannot provide services in criminal or divorce cases.

8) Adams County Bar Association

President, Cory Sprunger, Attorney at Law, Office Phone Number (260) 589-2338

Show All Answers

1. How do I contact my public defender?
2. How do I find out if I qualify for the infraction deferral program?
3. How do I find out if there is a Protective/No Contact Order in effect?
4. How do I find out when and where my hearing is?
5. How do I obtain proof of service?
6. How do I pay a traffic ticket?
7. What can Adams Superior Court staff do to assist me with my case?
8. Where can I get a copy of the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines?
9. Where can I go to get legal advice?
10. Where do I pay my criminal, civil or small claim case?
11. Why won’t Judge Conrad discuss my case with me?