- Animal Shelter
- Assessor’s Office
- Auditor’s Office
- Building & Planning Office
- Circuit Court
- Clerk’s Office
- Commissioners’ Office
- County Council
- Drainage Board
- Emergency Management Agency
- Extension Office
- Geographical Information Systems
- Health Department
- Parks & Recreation Department
- Probation Office
- Prosecutor’s Office
- Recorder’s Office
- Sheriff’s Office
- Superior Court Office
- Surveyor’s Office
- Treasurer’s Office
Building & Planning Office
What we do:
The Adams County Building and Planning Department has jurisdiction over the rural areas of Adams County as well as the Towns of Geneva and Monroe.
- We Keep records of New Construction and Remodels.
- We oversee processes relative to Plan Commission and BZA functions.
- We keep and maintain current flood zone maps
- Issue Building permits for all new construction and remodel projects on both residential and commercial buildings.
- Issue electrical permits for any new electrical service or electrical upgrades.
- Inspect projects in all phases of construction to insure the State and Local Building codes are upheld and enforced.
- Issue Location permits for any new construction ensuring it is in compliance with zoning and flood map parameters.
- Issue new addresses
- Make recommendations and implement actions to keep all ordinances and comprehensive plans current with State and Local Planning Laws and standards.
- Schedule and hold Public Hearings relative to the enforcement of said ordinances.
The Planning Department’s function is to shape the orderly development of Adams County and the towns of Geneva and Monroe in order that adequate light, air, convenience of access, and safety from fire, flood, and other danger may be secured: that congestion in the public streets may be lessened or avoided; and that the public health, safety, comfort, morals, convenience and general welfare of the people may be promoted.
Decisions are made by the Zoning Appeals Board and the Plan Commission Board with reasonable regard to existing conditions, the character of buildings erected in each district, the most desirable use for which the land my be adapted and the conservation of property values throughout the unincorporated areas of the County and the town of Geneva and Monroe.
Adams County and Monroe scheduled meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month as needed. They are held in the Commissioners room on the second floor of the Adams County Service Complex, 313 W. Jefferson St., Decatur, Indiana
Geneva scheduled meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month as needed. They are held in the Council Room at the Geneva Town Hall, 411 E. Line Street in Geneva, Indiana.
Please Note* All necessary paperwork shall be filed at least three weeks prior to the hearing date.
- 313 W. Jefferson St.
- Suite 338
- Decatur, Indiana 46733
- Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Building Commissioner, Plan Commission Director, Board of Zoning Appeals Administrator (Appointed to this office in 2013)
Assistant Plan Commission Director
Building Department Deputy